We see people going to hospitals being hospitalized and taking high dose medications for the medical complications which begin just by a little bit negligence in their daily routine nutrition and ignorance in the foods which they are consuming on daily basis.
It seems that problem is not the unavailability of foods for maintaining righteous diet rather it is lack of knowledge about foods.
There are brilliantly active, helpful some basic foods available at every house which if used on daily basis would make a person less prone to diseases.
In this article I have tried to mention mistakes of almost every layman. By avoiding these mistakes one can attain really fruitful and healthy outputs.
“It costs money to stay healthy, but it’s even more expensive to get sick”
“You are my tea, and I am your ginger, without ginger tea is faded, without tea ginger is tart”
- Thanks to our ancestor mothers who deliver this habit to us of adding ginger turmeric garlic cumin etc to our daily base curries so that we may get this extraordinary nutrition through these spices and herbs along with flavor.
- Ginger can be used in various forms (fresh,powdered,juice or oil) which help in digestion, reducing common cold and relieving nausea & vomiting after surgery or chemotherapy.
- It is helpful in degeneration of the joints which can lead to pain & stiffness.
- It has been proved that using ginger for a period of 12 weeks helps in the reduction of blood sugar levels in diabetics.
- Ginger has been found to very effective in relieving menstrual pain, lowering LDL and cholesterol levels.
- It contain a lot of active compounds one of them is 6-gingerol which has anti-cancer properties.
- Ginger is excellent in reducing inflammatory diseases that may occur in brain and gums.
Ways to add Ginger to daily life
- By Spicing up your daily meal of veggies and curries with ginger powder.
- Making herbal ginger tea.
- By using sliced ginger in salads dressings.
- By flavors your daily curries.
- Added to stir fries and soups.
Lets check our water! Since average adult human body is 50-60% water.
Everyone among us drink water every day, so the type of water we are drinking determines our health status and how it affects our metabolism and digestion, we use
normal tap water for drinking purpose, pH of water determines how much fruitful it is, either basic or acidic.
I have seen people claiming that our water is good, it aids us in digestion and increases our appetite while others as our water is slow in metabolizing foods.
So I tried to figure out the basic difference what makes water a healthy drink.
“I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man”
There are two types of drinking water
Drinking acidic water over a longer period of time has hazardous long lasting effects on human body.
Acidic water is contaminated with high levels of metals which are catastrophic to human health, leading to severe long term health issues including
- Kidney problems
- GIT upset
Majority of us drink acidic water according to a survey in Punjab, people drink normal tap or underground well water which have pH of 5.4-8.6.
- Exposes You to Heavy Metals leading to illness and poisoning.
- Damage to your teeth leading to tooth decay overtime.
- Places Young Children at Risk due to absorption of contaminants
- Corroding of plumbing system leading to abundance of copper which cause serious kidney problems .
- High acidity refrains calcium absorption causing no Calcium Retention.
- Basic cause of gastrointestinal sickness.
Its pH level ranges from 8-10, it can improve your over all health, by maintaining optimum pH, and preventing from chronic diseases.
The different functions of the body entail various pH levels, but there is a limited range that can be considered healthy.
These levels must not go below or above 7.35-7.45, Drinking natural alkaline water benefits the body by neutralizing its acidity.
It also regulates the acid-base balance that your body need.
Alkaline water are found to reduce the risk of diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Balances the Body’s pH Levels
- Helps with Acid Reflux after reverse peristalsis
- Promotes Weight Loss because it prevent fat storage.
- Boosts Metabolism because it burns extra fat and calories.
- Reduces the Risk of Metabolic Acidosis
- Improves Hydration because it has smaller molecules which are easy to absorb.
How to Make Alkaline Water at Home
1. Baking Soda
Water can made alkaline by adding 1/8 tablespoon of baking soda in ml of water and mixing thoroughly until it dissolves.
2. Lemon Juice
It is scientifically proven that adding ½ tablespoon of lemon juice can increase fluids pH including water and urine.
3. pH Drops
These are highly concentrated mixture of electrolytes and minerals, which Increases the pH of liquids by adding 2-3 drops to each glass.
4. Water Filtration System
This is simplest and easiest household filtration system for removing electrolytes, toxic heavy metals and contaminants.
“People can either be turmeric or salt to your wounds, choose wisely”
- Curcumin is the active component of turmeric which has antiseptic, anti-fungal anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory property it can reduce risk of certain chronic diseases including heart disease, colitis, autoimmune diseases, cancer, and cognitive decline.
- Turmeric is antioxidant-rich, helping to boost the body’s defenses and protect against free-radical damage that can hinder immunity, brain function, and other aspects of good health.
- It helps prevent DNA damage and improves DNA repair, and it shows promise in treating depression. The turmeric also alleviate joint pain, muscle soreness, hay fever, and skin conditions.
- It has been found that turmeric is very effective in preventing diseases including cancer, Alzheimer’s disease , heart disease, metabolic syndrome,and various degenerative conditions. World Health Organization (WHO) has given 0–3 mg/kg of body weight as an ideal daily intake.
- It inhibits the activity of molecule NF-kB, which is responsible for turning on inflammatory genes in nuclei, because inflammation is the root cause of chronic diseases.
- Turmeric aids in boosting the activity of BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) which is a growth factor that helps in brain functioning , decrease levels of this hormone results in depression , Alzheimer’s disease and early ageing.
Ways to Add Turmeric to Daily Life
- By Spicing up your daily meal of veggies and curries with turmeric powder.
- Adding turmeric to the milk, along with black pepper.
- By making Turmeric tea.
- Taking turmeric/Curcumin supplement in the form of capsules.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to your smoothies, i .e banana
- By adding them in salads as a dressing.
Homemade Ghee (Desi Ghee)
Ghee answers all your questions, because it is “clarified butter”
- Ghee is a kind of butter with more concentrated fat, and no water and milk solids, it has high smoke point of 250℃ then vanaspati ghee butter and vegetable oils.
- It has saturated fatty acids which make it handle high temperature and produce less acrylamide ( a toxic compound) with damage.
- Ghee is rich in vitamin K2 which plays a important role in face and dental development during gestation . Increased levels of vitamin K2 in ghee helps the body absorb calcium that promotes healthy bone health and prevents tooth decay.
- It is rich in vitamin D & E, butyric acid and detoxification properties, which stimulates the production of T-cell production which helps balances the hormones that maintains healthy metabolism and promotes an alkaline environment in the body, thus reducing the risk of diseases.
- It includes medium-chain fatty acids which are processed & absorbed by the liver and burned as a energy. SO, ghee is an excellent source of energy for athletes and people with an active lifestyle and growing children.
Desi Ghee Nutrition
- It contains a rich variety of fats and high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids (MFA) and (CLA) conjugated linoleic acid which helps in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL) and has anti-carcinogenic properties and increase fat loss.
- That contains short chain fatty acid butyrate that helps in detoxification of the body, aids in digestion , helps to maintain insulin levels , decrease inflammation, and improves gut functions.
- It is a rich source of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and E. Vitamin A in ghee make it ideal for protecting eye health and vitamin E are antioxidants which detoxifies free radicals. Vitamin D ensures bone health.
- According to its composition it is free from casein protein and lactose (milk sugar) which makes it suitable for people with dairy allergies and intolerance’s.
- So we just have to switch our banaspati ghee with desi ghee and use desi ghee for deep frying instead of vegetable oil to ensure certain health risks and enhance the quality of life.
Basil seeds (Naizbo)
These are the foods plants which are present at every home and are not used because of the unawareness of their properties, they look similar to chia seeds, they have varying health benefits including.
Source of Minerals
Basil seeds are rich source of Calcium magnesium and iron which are helpful in bone and muscle health, bacteria and cancer prevention.
Basil seeds are low glycemic index foods they also trigger slow breakdown, release and absorption of sugar which makes them good to control diabetes.
Heal Stings and Bites
Basil seeds work best for removing venom of insect, snakebite and stings. It is also best for treatment of inflammations.
Protects Against Infections
Due to smoking and wrong dietary choices free radicles develop in body.
Which cause oxidative stress cellular damage and disease. Basil seeds are rich in antioxidants which removes free radicles.
Protecting Against Skin Aging
Basil extracts are best known for the treatment of skin problems including
- Black heads
- Scaly patches
Because they contain anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agents which protects skin from infections.
Basil seeds extracts and powders are used to reduce ice-cream crystallization this improves the flavor as well taste of ice-cream.
Fight Against Cancer
Basil seeds slower down the growth of rapidly dividing cells by changing gene expressions rather destroys dead and cancer cells.
Relieve Stress and Improves Brain
Basil leaves as well seeds acts as anti-stress and anti-depressive agents.
Regular use helps in sharpen mind and improved brain function.
Helpful in Quitting Smoking
Basil leaves can converted to juice which has cooling effect on throat of smokers.
Leaves can chewed which compensates the urge of nicotine and antioxidants helps repair the damages caused by smoking.
Hair Benefits of Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are best for reducing the dryness itchiness and sweatiness of scalp which leads to hair fall and graying of hair, it also strengthens hair follicles thus preventing hair loss.
Ways to Add Basil Seeds to Daily Life
- Add few basil seeds in daily base veggies and curries .
- By adding basil to soups, and sauces.
- Use some basil leaves with tomato , cucumber onion and mozzarella , along with olive oil and make a salad.
- Use basil seeds or powder in smoothies ¸ yogurt , milkshakes, puddings lemonade, soups and other drinks .
- Add basil seeds leaves or powder in hair and skin oils.
It is concluded that adding a pinch of some basic foods that are readily available at home, drastically changes our life and health status.
Change comes with time, and for a healthy nutritional change we must need to relay consistently on these foods.
Your foods just need a little and rationale change of pattern, a little understanding, a little effort to keep you eligible for quality life.
So do not IGNORE little things in life!
Written by ALMEENA FAZAL (BSc. Hons) Human nutrition and Dietetics , institute of Food and Nutritional Sciences, PMAS arid agriculture university Rawalpindi.